Yes, healthy eating should be a year-round commitment, but often the goal to eat healthier and get into shape really kicks in when spring arrives. And yet the concept of healthy eating still eludes us. We think the food will be boring, not very tasty, not many choices, etc.
If you think a plain salad is the highway to healthy eating, READ Salads wants to change that view by taking one recipe that’s good for you (a bean salad), and showing how it can be changed up with other healthy ingredients to make delicious variations. So here goes!
Bean & Vegetable Salad is made with READ 3 or 4 Bean Salad, fresh veggies and a cider vinegar dressing. Easy and delicious. Makes a great side dish, or enjoy a larger portion as a main dish. Don’t stop there. Consider these other ideas:
- Toss in some sliced chicken…grilled, baked or rotisserie. Or add cooked shrimp.
- Sprinkle with lots of chopped fresh herbs for color, flavor and extra nutrition.
- Top with walnuts or almonds.
- Serve over favorite mixed greens…the darker the greens the more nutrients you’re adding.
- Add a grain or pasta to the salad. Cooked quinoa, barley, whole wheat couscous or whole wheat pasta such as penne all work well.