Recipe courtesy of Emily Ellyn, at www.EmilyEllyn.com
- 1 can (15 ounces) READ Classic 4 Bean Salad, not drained
- 1/4 cup (3 medium) fresh jalapeno peppers, seeds removed
- 1-2/3 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs, beaten
Makes 10 servings.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 9 x 13-inch baking dish or pan with nonstick spray or grease lightly. Set aside.
- In blender, blend bean salad, jalapeno peppers, milk, butter, sugar and salt until pureed.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour and baking powder until ingredients are well combined. Add beaten eggs to cornmeal mixture and whisk to combine while adding bean salad mixture. Mix until batter is smooth. Spread evenly into prepared baking dish or pan.
- Bake on middle rack of oven 25 to 30 minutes or until pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on wire rack.
Nutrition information per serving (1/10 of recipe): 450 calories; 8g protein; 57g carbohydrate; 16g fat; 590mg sodium; 90mg cholesterol; 3g dietary fiber; 2.64mg iron; 0.31mg thiamin; 625.36IU vitamin A; 3.09mg vitamin C