Recipe courtesy of Emily Ellyn, at www.EmilyEllyn.com
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 cups (1 large) chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery (3 medium stalks)
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (2 to 3 cloves)
- 1 can (15 ounces) READ Southwestern Bean Salad, not drained
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 4 cups Emily's Sweet and Spicy Jalapeno Cornbread, cut into 1-inch cubes, or substitute cornbread of choice
Makes 10 (approx. 1-cup) servings.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In large (12-inch) cast iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery. Sauté 8 to 10 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add sausage, poultry seasoning and garlic. Sauté about 10 minutes or until sausage is cooked through, stirring to break up sausage into smaller, nickel-size pieces. Stir in bean salad. Reduce temperature to low and simmer.
- While mixture simmers, in medium bowl whisk together stock, cilantro and eggs. Remove skillet from heat. Add cornbread cubes. Gently fold in stock mixture making sure all cornbread cubes have been coated.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Bake on middle rack of oven 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until the top is evenly browned and the stuffing is very hot completely through. Insert a knife into the center and when it comes out moist, but with no stuffing mixture clinging to it, you're done.
- Serve hot with turkey, holiday fixings, or alongside a hot bowl of chili.
Nutrition information per serving (1/10 of recipe): 495 calories; 16g protein; 39g carbohydrate; 28g fat; 1,010mg sodium; 160mg cholesterol; 4g dietary fiber; 7mg iron; 0.44mg thiamin; 729.52IU vitamin A; 7.13mg vitamin C