Recipe courtesy of Today's Creative Life
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 slices bacon, sliced into pieces
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) READ Salads German Potato Salad
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- Chopped parsley or chives (optional)
Makes 8 (1-1/2 cup) servings.
- Place cheeses in gallon-size zip top bag. Add flour. Close bag. Shake until all cheese is covered with flour; set aside.
- In large Dutch oven, cook bacon pieces over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate; set aside for garnish.
- Pour off all but 2 to 3 tablespoons bacon drippings; discard excess. Place Dutch oven back on medium heat. Add carrots, onion and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent and carrots are softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add chicken broth, black pepper, red pepper flakes, thyme and parsley. Stir in German Potato Salad. Continue cooking over medium heat about 5 minutes or until potatoes are heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low. Slowly stir in cream and milk. Cook 5 to 8 minutes, until blended and heated through, stirring frequently. Slowly add cheeses, stirring until melted.
- Serve immediately, topped with reserved bacon, and parsley or chives, if desired.
Option: Add chopped broccoli or cauliflower to soup along with chicken broth.
Nutrition information per serving (1/8 of recipe): 470 calories; 17g protein; 29g carbohydrate; 32g fat; 870mg sodium; 90mg cholesterol; 3g dietary fiber; 1.49mg iron; 0.12mg thiamin; 6823.03IU vitamin A; 3.32mg vitamin C