- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed or 1/2 pound chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper (one color or a combination)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, mild or hot
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup beer, chicken broth or water
- 1 can (15 ounces) READ Southwestern Bean Salad, not drained
- Sour cream and cilantro, optional
Makes 4 servings (about 1-1/4 cups each).
- Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pork; cook and stir until browned and just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeno; cook and stir 2 minutes until crisp-tender. Stir in cumin, chili powder and tomato. Add beer; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in bean salad; return pork to pan. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add salt as desired. Serve topped with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.
Note: Additional liquid may be added if less thick chili is preferred.
Per serving (1/4 of recipe): 262 calories; 17 g protein; 26 g carbohydrate; 9 g fat; 498 mg sodium; 30 mg cholesterol; 7 g dietary fiber; 12 mg iron; 0.47 mg thiamin; 988 IU vitamin A; 41 mg vitamin C.